Breaking Eggs And Making Omelettes

Topics On Multimedia Technology and Reverse Engineering


VP8 Misplaced Plane

October 15th, 2010 by Multimedia Mike

So I’m stubbornly plugging away at my toy VP8 encoder and I managed to produce this gem. See if you can spot the subtle mistake:

The misplaced color plane resulted from using the luma plane stride where it was not appropriate. I fixed that and now chroma planes are wired to use to the same naive prediction algorithm as the luma plane.

Also, I fixed the entropy encoder so that end of block conditions are signaled correctly (instead of my original, suboptimal hack to just encode all zeros). I was disappointed to see that this did not result in a major compression improvement. Then again, I’m using the lowest possible quantization settings for this outing, so perhaps this is to be expected.

Sigh… 4×4 luma prediction is next. Wish me luck.

Posted in VP8 | Comments Off on VP8 Misplaced Plane

Comments are closed.