Breaking Eggs And Making Omelettes

Topics On Multimedia Technology and Reverse Engineering


64-bit Mac On FATE

October 2nd, 2008 by Multimedia Mike

I really appreciate the flurry of SVN activity on FFmpeg today– it helped build confidence in my revised build/test script. FATE work items completed tonight:

  • set up a configuration to build and test 64-bit FFmpeg binaries for Mac OS X; thanks to David Conrad for schooling me on how to do this in the comments to the last post
  • re-instated the Linux/x86_32 and x86_64 configurations
  • upgraded all gcc-svn configurations to the latest version
  • disabled all gcc 4.3.1 configurations; replaced with latest and greatest 4.3.2 configurations

I still haven’t gotten Python 2.5.2 on Gentoo to import sqlite3, so the PowerPC is still cheerfully running the classical, less efficient build/test script.

I sat back and watched the various configurations rip through their build/test assignments. Then I noticed a result on the main FATE page that had passed 85/94 tests. That’s a bug (too few tests). So I did what came naturally, deleted the record, and am waiting to see if it happens again. I think I may know what the problem is, though. That’s the nice thing about being the sole developer of a system– it can actually be possible to juggle all the pieces in your head, understand all the design decisions behind them, and intuitively understand what might be wrong.

Posted in FATE Server | Comments Off on 64-bit Mac On FATE


October 1st, 2008 by Multimedia Mike

Okay, FATE is back online, somewhat. First and foremost, you will notice that Mac OS X autobuilds are at the top of the page. I know it doesn’t look like much is different but I changed a whole lot of stuff under the covers to get to that point. I have not re-instated the x86_32 or x86_64 build/test cycles for Linux yet because I would like to see this new script bake for a day or 2 before copying it to other systems. The PPC build/test cycles are running because I can’t figure out how to make the new script run on that machine (hi Gentoo!), so it gets to stick to the older, still functional script for now.

If you will indulge a little self back-patting, I’m rather pleased with how this new system is shaping up. I set out to solve one problem but I wound up realizing solutions and better approaches for a whole lot more things. The new system is already faster and more resilient to intermittent network problems (that will never go away completely no matter what availability and bandwidth guarantees we have). Going forward, I have new ideas about how to make the system easier to administer, and to allow co-administrators to help out as well. Look for more platforms on FATE in the near future as it should be much easier for others to run the client program and automatically submit data back to the server. And it may even be possible to adapt the system for other projects.

I look forward to writing up more notes about the infrastructure changes. Most of them boil down to my new love affair with SQLite.

Posted in FATE Server | 10 Comments »

Next Entries »